With Cable theft becoming an ever growing problem Fibre-optic is largely replacing copper wire as the preferred choice in core network installations, and whereas cost used to be an issue, the increase in value of Copper has also made Fibre-Optic much more affordable.
So what are the advantages and why does Fibre-Optic seem like the wise choice to make when choosing your method of Cabling?
- Clearer Signal – The loss of signal in optical fibre is less than in copper wire. Fibre-Optics use light pulses to transmit information down Fibre lines, as opposed to the electrical signals in copper wires, the light signals from one fibre do not interfere with those of other fibres in the same cable. This means clearer phone conversations or TV reception and faster Internet speed.
- Low power – Because signals in optical fibres degrade less, lower-power transmitters can be used instead of the high-voltage electrical transmitters needed for copper wires. Again, this saves your provider, and ultimately you, money.
- Secure Digital signals – Optical fibres are ideally suited for carrying digital information, which is especially useful in computer networks, as it faster and has improved security, being harder to tap into than the Copper equivalent.
- Non-flammable – Because no electricity is passed through optical fibres there is less fire hazard. Only the sheath has any kind of fire hazard attached to it.
- The Greener Option ~ Being made of glass, and therefore sand, your Fibre-Optic is kinder to our planet.
- Lightweight – An optical cable weighs less than a comparable copper wire cable. Therefore carrying cables overhead in ceilings becomes much quicker, easier and safer.
- Thinner – Optical fibres can be drawn to smaller diameters than copper wire. Fibre-Optic cables take up less space in the ground….and less space in your building!
- Higher carrying capacity – Because optical fibres are thinner than copper wires, more Fibres can be pulled into a given-diameter cable than copper wires. This allows more phone lines to go over the same cable or more channels to come through the cable into your cable TV box.
Ultimately Fibre Optic has no re-sale value and a longer operational life expectancy than Copper!
Cable theft….lets make it easier and take the temptation away !
So if you are looking at your options, want a little bit more information or just need to talk to an expert then ACCL are on hand to assist you. We can help you to make an informed decision on what is the best solution for you and your business.